Monday 2 November 2009

Busy and Exciting Times

I can't believe it's over two weeks since I posted anything. Have been busy with assignments, work, the garden - just the usual. We've got about three and a half weeks to go now and study will be over for another year, so hopefully I'll have a bit more time.

But there have been a few exciting happenings and a bit of progress in the garden while I've been silent ...

The large bed in the front garden has been completely renovated, with weeds removed and new plants inserted, its also been fed and mulched, and an arch has appeared to train roses on one side and a jasmine and gelsemium on the other. This bed is about 12 or so square metres and it was rather neglected, so it was quite a job.

I've managed to find the time to make some more mint jelly and start a batch of elderflower champagne ... recipes coming soon.


We've started dismantling one of the raised garden beds in preparation for conversion to a wicking bed. This particular bed has a slight problem with couch grass, so we've been sieving all the soil. Ugh!


A couple of weeks ago, I was awarded a prize for "Excellence in herbal medicine" where I study. I was surprised, but very happy, especially since it came with a voucher for some herbal extracts from my favourite herbal company. :)


And best of all, on Saturday we picked up a new nucleus colony and so now we have two hives in the garden. The new bees seem to be settling in well. And next year we can probably split the older hive, so we'll have a total of three hives. Haven't harvested any honey yet; just letting the hives get stronger for now.

Now I'm off to have a look at what you've all been up to ....


love and light
naturewitch

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award!
Sounds like you have been as hectic as I have, sometimes the blogging world just has to take a backseat to the real world stuff, cant wait to see your pics:)

Cheryl said...

Firstly congrats on the award...I am certain it is most richly deserved.

The new bed sounds wonderful and the arch, ooooh Naturewitch, the fragrance will waft around your garden. A sensory garden in the making.

Lovely, lovely, lovely.....more bees, you can never have too many bees. I wish I lived around the corner, I would just love to see them......

naturewitch said...

Hi Molly
Yep, life is busy and the silly season's starting, but quite frankly, I'd rather be in the garden! Will do some pics of the front when things grow up a bit. xx

Hi Cheryl
The new bees are wonderful; just hoping they multiply up OK. It is fantastic to see them at work - my little gardening companions. And I think we have more lady beetles and definitely more hoverflies since they've come to live with us. It's very nice.
Funny you were saying about living around the corner - I was thinking this morning that if ever one of us travels to the other's country, we must definitely catch up. xx

Heike said...

Congratulations :). Very well deserved award, as I come here often for inspiration. Maybe I can even be inspired to finally prepare my garden for winter :).

naturewitch said...

Thanks, goddess! xx