Tuesday 23 December 2008

Magic in My Garden

The sparrows are flitting among the silver beet and kale, picking off tiny caterpillars and feasting.

A little silver eye picks at the last fruit on the weeping mulberry. One of the cats lies nearby, but the tiny bird is unperturbed.

The pot marjoram, inconveniently self-seeded and thriving in the middle of a path, is providing food for the bees now, so we'll continue to walk around it.

The zucchini bush, which had its first flower the other day (female, no male flowers), now has fruit magically filling out, thanks no doubt to our stripey, buzzy friends.

Purslane has come to visit - I never knew it before - and now it lives happily alongside the dandelion and yellow dock and wild lettuce. Weeds to many, but to me they are foods and medicines.

My garden is my pantry and my medicine chest, my gym and my classroom, my joy and my meditation. It is a place I can really breathe, taking in the fresh, clean air and exhaling the tension. It is my sanctuary.

But most of all, it is a place I feel at one with nature in all its magnificence, beauty, purpose and playfulness.

It is by no means something out of a fancy magazine, but there's magic in my garden. Hope you can find the magic in yours too.

love and light
naturewitch

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dear Naturewitch.....I almost felt as though I had written that.
I love to see wild flowers flourishing in gardens.....My joy this year was fleabane....i love the pretty yellow daisies and the hoverflies adored them.....

Glad that the birds are keeping the pests down.......much better than all those nasty sprays.....

Who wants a garden like those in a fancy magazine.......wild is good.....

I am glad that you have a sanctuary where you can find peace and solace.....long may it last for you.....

Have a peaceful Christmas.......

Kelly said...

im definitely missing just hanging around in my garden. merry christmas! kel xx

Wendy said...

How refreshing to read about your garden. We are covered in snow.
My garden is also magic. And I like to bring a little bit of that magic indoors for the long winter.
I have amaryllis in bloom and poinsettias on my windowsill.
Merry Christmas to you.

The Crone at Wits End said...

Loving the pics of your garden NW! Thank you so much for the chat this morning, have a wonderful Xmas all of you!

flmom said...

What a delightful thing for me to read this morning! I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh....nothing more healing than a garden!

naturewitch said...

Dear All
Thanks for your lovely comments. Have you all have a great Christmas. xx

Cwm Goch Chronicles said...

I know exactly how you felt when you wrote this. The same way I felt about mine walking about it in the cooling air tonight. Drop in for a look at the 'magic' I managed to snap tonight.