Monday 2 February 2009

My New Love

I have a new love in my life and I'm embarrassed to admit that it's not a who but a what . . . our new juicer!

The juicer arrived today, and already it has made some extremely refreshing carrot and watermelon juice and also some macadamia nut butter. And it is relatively quiet! And easy to assemble and clean.

As well as being able to produce fruit, vegetable and sprouted grain juices, it can make nut butters; extrude pasta, noodles and breadsticks; mince; and make baby foods and sorbets. It has a 20 year warranty on the motor and 5 years on the attachments - a machine built to last.

Because it uses a low rpm gear, it maintains the enzymes in the food it processes. Apparently centrifugal and high speed juicers often denature the delicate enzymes because of the heat generated by internal friction.

There's a few different models of this type of juicer on the market, some with twin gears. Some of them cost thousands of dollars; this one cost a few hundred.

Here is our new baby . . .
























We bought it online through Nature's Wonderland. The price was the cheapest we could find and the service was terrific. They have a good range of sprouting seeds, juicers, dehydrators, etc. Well worth having a look at their site if you are in the market for any of these things and more.

love and light
naturewitch

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Naturewitch...juicers are great...it nice to know that you are getting all the goodness from the fruit and veg.....

Have fun juicing.....

Kelly said...

looks fantastic. i had a bag of cashews in my hand at the market yesterday ready for some nut butter but when i really thought about it, our processor is really crap...sad face...shall have to find another soloution..i LOVE nut better, especially raw cashew.

karen said...

You so need to put eyes & a tail on that machine, and give it a name!

River said...

I love how it's animal shaped with little feet and all. You really do need to give it eyes, a tail and a name, just like karenmc said.

amummy said...

Hi NW,

The juicer looks really great. I look forward to seeing it IRL. :-)

P.S. I got my blog set up at http://amummy.myhabari.net

Libby said...

My sister has just bought herself a juicer and raves about it!! As do my neighbours!! I will wait until I can afford the one I want!!

naturewitch said...

Hi Cheryl
Yes, this juicer is particularly good. I'm really enjoying fresh carrot juice in the mornings. xx

Hi Kel
I was amazed at how quickly it made nut butter. Harder nuts need to be soaked, but cashews, peanuts and macadamias can be ground as they are. It makes a kind of nut meal to which you add a little oil to get the nut butter consistency. Sooo yummy! xx

Hi karenmc and River
Well, the juicer is called Oscar so that's a start. Not sure what animal it might be, though . . . xx

Hi amummy
Good to have you drop by. Come and have a look at the juicer sometime. Thanks for your blog address. I had a quick peek and I love that tote! xx

Hi Libby
Yes, although I had to wait to get the one I wanted, it was well worth it. My old one (a centrifugal type) lasted me about 15 years, but it was nowhere near as good as this one. Definitely go for the one you want. xx