Friday 23 January 2009

Frugal Friday Food

This Christmas, I bought a tray of mangoes, as the children always love them. Wrong! They've "gone off them" it seems and so although I was munching away, the heat was threatening to turn all the remaining mangoes to mush.

Hating the thought of throwing them out, we turned them into mango chutney, which goes brilliantly with curries. Here's the recipe, modified from one online at the ABC.

Mango Chutney
1kg mango flesh, diced
330g onions, diced
500g raw sugar
300ml white vinegar
250g sultanas
2 Tblspn finely chopped ginger
0.75 tspn each of mixed spice, ground cloves, mustard seed, curry powder, nutmeg
1.25 dessertspoons salt

Place all ingredients in a pot. Bring to the boil, stirring often. Cook until the mixture is thick. Bottle and seal.

This makes a sweet mango chutney. If you like it hot, you could add spice / chilli accordingly.


I love raw homemade muesli, with chopped nuts, seeds and dried fruits. However, I'm the only one in our house who does and so I recently made a toasted muesli or granola to tempt the others.

The finished result is a little sweet (for me), so I would halve the amount of honey next time. But the others loved it, so I thought I'd post the recipe.

Toasted Muesli
2 cups rolled oats
0.5 cup shedded cocnut
1 cup almonds
0.5 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup sultanas
0.5 cups chopped dried apricots
1 cup apple sauce / puree
0.5 cup honey
0.25 cup oil

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the apple sauce, honey and oil together, then combine well with the dry ingredients.

Spread the mixture onto baking trays (on paper) and place in a cold oven. Set to 150C (300F) and come back in 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the muesli to cool in the oven for another 30 minutes. When cold, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

This toasted muesli can be eaten as it is or in a bowl with milk or milk substitute. It could also be pressed into a tin prior to baking and you'd get muesli bars (although I haven't tried this out).

Happy eating!

love and light
naturewitch

4 comments:

Eduardo Miguel said...

I very liked everything that vi this way… of everything but what more it called me the attention was that there it has a life in the field similar to the one that I have here in Brazil, practical its of organic agriculture with the mixtures of plants that if they complement as vegetables, flowers and grass acting in the defense without agrotóxicos, everything I liked everything, simple and pretty congratulations, success and happinesses.

naturewitch said...

Hi Eduardo

Thanks for your kind comments. I enjoyed your blog, too. xx

Cheryl said...

Hi Naturewitch....I just love mango chutney....one of my favourites with a vegetable curry.....

I am also a big muesli fan.....I make my own but have never toasted it.....I will try it.....

stelios said...

Homemade muesli, with chopped nuts, seeds and dried fruits. This sounds great. i will make it my project for next weekend.
Thank you
Fruit and Nut Trees