Sunday 8 June 2008

Aphids

Every year, when I plant my Brussels sprouts, I do so knowing that most of them will be fodder for the aphids. Still, I plant them because I know that by the Brussels sprouts being sacrificied to the aphids, they will leave my broccoli, cauliflowers and cabbages alone.

Until now. This time the aphids have gone too far - they have started infesting my baby savoy cabbages and my newly formed cauliflowers. So, as much as I hate to say it, this means war between me and the aphids.

I've decided to launch a three-pronged attack:
  1. Feed up the broccoli (as yet unaffected - thank you, garden Goddess!), the cauliflowers, cabbages and Brussels sprouts. The idea is to improve their vitality and their natural defences.
  2. Make up some garlic spray. My father used to make this - blend up 1kg fresh garlic, pour into 20L drum and fill with water. Leave for three weeks (by which time it pongs!!!!), then strain, add some detergent as a wetting agent then dilute before spraying on affected plants. I'm not doing 20L, but am trying 2L (with 100g garlic) and won't leave it for the full three weeks - I'm hoping a few days will do.
  3. Pray to the nature spirits to bring little silvereyes or finches or wrens to my garden in the middle of winter (please, please please!) to do a clean up.

If anyone has any other ideas that might help, I would most appreciate it. I don't normally launch an attack on common garden pests, but happily share my produce with them. This time, though, they've gone a little too far.

love and light

naturewitch

No comments: