The question is: what kind of world do we want to leave for our children? For that matter, what kind of world do we want to live in when we get older? We need to take action now (actually, a long time ago) and address our overly consumptive patterns of behaviour. They are simply just not sustainable.
Please take the time to view the video (some of you may have seen it already) and think about what actions you can personally take.
My own list will be something like this:
- Use the bus more often, even when inconvenient
- Walk more or ride my bicycle
- Increase our level of self-sufficiency as far as our food is concerned
- Grow open-pollinated varieties of food crops (instead of hybrids) and save the seed
- Decrease the amount of meat we eat (it wll be fun convincing the carnivores around here!)
- Implement some more grey-water recycling solutions in our household
- Install rain water tanks
- Reduce our energy and water consumption further
- Think before buying - we already have too much "stuff"
- Free-cycle or sell the "stuff" we no longer need
- Be grateful for what I have
- Simplify, simplify, simplify
- Spread the word, educate and lobby
- Have FUN doing the above (don't want to die from crawling seriousity LOL!)
love and light